Guide To Buying The Best Baby Clothes For The First 2 Weeks
For the first two weeks after birth, your little one will be quite vulnerable. They will also have an umbilical cord stump that will fall off after about two weeks. The actual length of the stump will depend on how it was cut at the hospital.
A newborn’s umbilical stump is very sensitive. Rubbing it or grazing it will irritate her. This is why it is recommended that you fold down your little one’s diaper every time you change them. And also why it is a good idea to invest in the right newborn baby clothes that will not irritate their stump over those first two weeks.
This guide will highlight everything you need to know about the best baby clothes for the first two weeks of life.
The Best Onesies For The First Two Weeks
The best onesies for the first two weeks are ones that come with side snaps. Some options are designed to wrap around your little one’s body, avoiding the stump. These designs work well in the first two weeks because they make for easier diaper changes.
Additionally, because the onesies close up on the side, as you dress your little one you do not have to pull anything over her little face. They also do not ride up like t-shirts do, exposing your baby’s belly and waking her up.
Other Essential Clothes For The First Two Weeks
Everyone has an opinion when it comes to what to get when shopping for newborn baby clothes. However, it is simply smarter to go for a minimalist baby registry because your little one will probably outgrow everything you buy them in no time at all.
Here is a list of other essential newborn outfits that are going to be completely indispensable over those first two weeks:
- Hats: Infants lose most of their body heat through their heads. Get a few warm hats and let them wear one as long as they are awake to keep them warm throughout the day.
- Baby Leggings: Get a few pairs of comfortable cotton baby leggings. They go perfectly with any onesie.
- Footed Onesies: Footed onesies are must-have newborn wardrobe-essentials. They perfectly combine in one outfit onesies, pants, socks, and shoes!
- Sleepwear: Footed pajamas are perfect for those first couple of weeks as they will keep your little one’s toes nice and toasty all night!
- Socks: Great for newborns, they will keep their feet warm when not wearing onesies.
- Fabric: Because of your baby’s sensitive skin, get clothes made using fabrics that are comfortable and highly breathable, such as cotton.
- Style And Functionality: Go for practicality over fanciness. Your baby’s clothes must be comfortable and easy to put on or take off.
- Size: Your baby’s clothes should not only fit them well but also account for their rapid growth rate. When in doubt, always go for the larger option.
- Cost: While you have to stick to your budget when shopping for your baby, never compromise quality for the price!
- Safety: Avoid overly-decorated clothes with bows and flowers, or hanging bits of fabric like ribbons or drawstrings.
- Season: Think ahead and buy season-appropriate clothes.
As you can see, there is no need to go crazy when shopping for your baby’s clothes for the first two weeks. Instead, stick to the essentials and invest more in a few items that you absolutely can’t do without. Hopefully, this guide will show exactly where to start. Good luck and congratulations!