The Definitive Guide To Buying Maternity Jeans For Moms-To-Be
Every mom-to-be needs a good dependable pair of maternity jeans. This guide will outline tips and tricks that will help you find the perfect style, the perfect fit, and jeans that will continue fitting you even after your little one comes.
What Are Maternity Jeans?
Maternity jeans are jeans that are designed for pregnant women’s growing bellies. They usually do this in one of three ways:
- By having a high waistband so the jeans can go over your bump
- By having a low cut so the jeans can sit below your bump
- By having an elastic waistband so the jeans can adjust and grow with your bump
What Style Of Jeans Should You Look For?
Maternity jeans come in lots of different styles. Depending on what you are looking for, here are some of the options you have:
- Skinny jeans: they are slim fit all the way to the ankles. They pair well with heels, knee-highs, and ballet flats.
- Slim jeans: they look like skinny jeans except they do not cling to your silhouette. THey only closely graze your shape.
- Boyfriend/boy-fit/carpenter jeans: they are loose and baggy and very comfortable with spacious pockets.
- Bootleg/bootcut jeans: these are slim around the thighs and wider from the knee down to allow you to pair them with boots. They are not as roomy at the ankles as flares, though.
- Flare jeans: they look like bootlegs but have wider flares below the knees. Best worn below the waist.
- Cargo jeans: they look like combat trousers with wide-leg cuts and side pockets. Can either be full length or mid-calf in length.
- Straight jeans: they are cut down straight from your waist to your ankles with a slimmer fit at the ankles
- Jeggings: they look like leggings but are made of a material that only looks like denim. They have a fake fly and fake pockets along with an elastic waist.
Under The Bump Or Over The Bump?
Some women like their maternity jeans to go under the bump while some like it over the bump. The choice is completely subjective and depends on what you feel most comfortable with.
Over the bump offers more support and security while keeping you warmer. However, it does not feel quite as stylish. Under the bump is great if the skin on your belly gets itchy. It also slips down easily. Pair them with maternity tops if you don’t want to show off your bump.
How Should Maternity Jeans Fit?
They should feel comfortable without being obstructive. You should not feel any pressure on your belly when you have them on. They should also feel firm and well-fitting making you feel secure that they won’t fall down as you walk around in them.
What Size Maternity Jeans Should You Buy?
As you choose your next pair of maternity jeans, try to stay with your usual pre-pregnancy size unless otherwise indicated in the store. Going for a size or two larger will only end up being too big and you’ll be forced to have to keep hitching them up all the time.
As you can see, you do not have to give up wearing jeans when you get pregnant. With the right pair of maternity jeans by your side, you’ll still be able to look as stylish as you always have!